Friends of Goodale Park
August 3, 2011
7:00 pm Caretakers Residence
|Jason Kentner (Pres.)||Matt Wolf||Julie Hallan (Vol. Coord.)|
|Andy Klein (Treasurer)||Rick Frantz||Ken Salak|
|Maddy Weisz (VP)||Beth Vogt||Seth Clarke|
|Stan Sells (Sec.)||Bryant Fried (ComFest)|
|Garett Heysel||Rick Miller (Rec/Parks)|
|Greg Krobot||Greg Maynard|
Jason indicated that he had received a letter of resignation from Chris Gillespie.
The minutes of the July 6, 2011 Board meeting were approved.
Volunteer Coordinator Update
No update in light of Julie’s absence.
Rec. & Parks:
Goodale Gates Elements
Rick Miller reported that he has requested additional manufacturer information and brochures. Sells reported that the CCAD lead for fabrication did not pan out but that he has received the name of an additional CCAD faculty member and is attempting to contact him.
Rick also reported that Quality Masonry should install the new stone caps in the next few weeks and will address the issue of grout discoloration.
Rick reported that mowing may have suffered during July because of the attention given during June but this week’s mowing should have put the park back on schedule. Jason pointed out that there are high traffic areas in the park that need to be re-seeded and that such efforts need to be coordinated with the CRPD and with ComFest, probably during the fall.
Andy reported total revenues and accounts receivable for the month of July of $10,645.01 and expenses of $1,605.40 for a net increase in assets of $9,039.61. Of the fountain total obligations of $249,918, $201,401.93 has been paid, leaving a balance due of $48,516.07.
Proposed New Board Members:
In light of Chris Gillespie’s resignation, Jason expressed the desire to fill 2-3 open positions on the Board during this fall with emphasis on skill sets that would especially enhance the Events and Outreach Committee and Development and Finance Committee. Potential recruits include: Eric Anderson, Alex Kelley, Kasey Skobel-Conyers, and Linda McClanahan. After discussion, it was agreed to form a Search Committee composed of Andy, Matt and Maddy with Andy serving as chair.
Planning and Operations:
· August Work Day is Saturday, August 6, 2011 from 9 until noon.
· Grass in Terrace Pavers: Rick M. will ask Pam to spray the terraces.
Events and Outreach:
· Gazebo Event: 20th Aniversary scheduled for Sunday, August 21 at 12:15 pm. Cake will be provided ($50 cost). Board members are urged to attend.
· Fountain Dedication: Scheduled for Sunday, October 9 at 3pm. The Mayor, Councilman Klein and Director McKnight have been invited. Garett will prepare talking points. All donors will be invited. The SN Gazett will feature the fountain in the October issue.
· Volunteer Appreciation: Scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 6 at the Park St. Tavern.
Next Committee Meeting: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm @ 1219 Harrison
· Fountain Construction Update: The reservoir is in place along with the vault and the final two layers of granite are being installed. However, it may take until early next week to complete the granite so elephants will not be placed until next week. Electrical drawings have been submitted to the city and the electrical permit has been issued so electrical installation can now proceed. Earliest date for turning water on for filling pond would be Aug. 15 but we need Carmine’s confirmation of that.
· Fundraising: The Heffner fund raiser raised nearly $7,000 towards a goal of $10,000. A follow up request to invitees is being emailed and will be posted on Facebook.
· Dedication Event: Coordinating with Events committee. Will finalize names and wording for the dedication plaque at the Aug. 15 committee meeting. Kenter, Krobot and Overly will meet with Columbus Sign Co. on Aug. 8 re: dedication plaque elements.
· Deve. & Finance Focus Beyond Fountain: Jason urged that current committee members consider staying on board after fountain is completed to establish additional/annual ways of giving to increase operational funds and/or pursue funding for next projects.
Next Committee Meeting: Monday, August 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm @ Caretakers Residence
Jason shared that he is working with Rebecca Ibel from the Pizzuti Collection in designing a sculpture garden for the front yard of the Pizzuti Gallery and that there is a definite desire to engage FGP with the Pizzuti organization as a new institutional neighbor of the park. Pizzuti still intends to move the UCT monument back into the park, having determined the original foundation is solid.
Work Day: Saturday, August 6, 2011 from 9 am to noon.
September Board Meeting – Wednesday, September 7, 2011 @ 7:00 pm, Caretaker’s Residence