Friends of Goodale Park
October 5, 2011
7:00 pm Caretakers Residence
|Jason Kentner (Pres.)||Beth Vogt||Greg Krobot|
|Andy Klein (Treasurer)||Bryant Fried (ComFest)||Maddy Weisz (VP)|
|Stan Sells (Sec.)||Ken Salak||Seth Clarke|
|Pat Lewis||Julie Hallan (Vol. Coord.)||Guests:|
|Garett Heysel||Rick Miller (Rec/Parks)||Dave Snow|
|Matt Wolf||Dan Stout|
|Rick Frantz||Greg Maynard|
Jason introduced Dave Snow and Dan Stout as prospective Board members.
The minutes of the September 7, 2011 Board meeting were approved with the correction of Melissa Ricksecker’s name.
Volunteer Coordinator Update
The Volunteer Recognition event will be Oct. 6 at the Park St. Tavern from 6 until 10. It was agreed to budget the event at $225 to allow for free sodas throughout the evening.
Julie reported on three volunteer events during September. The first was the regular volunteer event held Sat. Sept. 10 with 28 volunteers in attendance. The second was the SNBA volunteer evening on Sept. 13 with 12 volunteers in attendance. The third was the OSU Scholars event on Sept. 20 with 68 volunteers.
No work days are scheduled for October. The next work day will be Sat. Nov. 5 beginning at 9 am.
Rec. & Parks:
Goodale Gates Elements
Rick Miller reported that Terry Sherburn has agreed to attend the meetings with Paul Simon and Steve Bush when Rick and Andy schedule those interviews. Quality Masonry is still waiting to install the new stone caps.
Andy reported total revenues and accounts receivable for the month of September of $165.97 and expenses of $1,693.25 for a net decrease in assets of $1,677.28. Total net assets as of 10/05/11: $31,993.67.
Proposed New Board Members:
Andy reported that the Nominating Committee had reviewed the responses from Eric Anderson and Melissa Ricksecker and recommended that both be approved for Board membership. The Committee’s recommendation served as a motion and both candidates were unanimously approved in separate votes by the Board.
In addition, Dave Snow shared that he has a horticulture background and works for Oakland Nursery. Dan Stout runs a software business. Both observed the Board meeting. Andy urged the Board to consider four appointments at this time in addition to reviewing Board attendance of current members over the past year.
Events and Outreach:
· Volunteer Recognition: Upstairs at Park Street Tavern. Door prizes from 19 Short North businesses utilizing Goodale Park trivia.
· Gala: Preliminary indication is that Justice Brown and his wife are interested in hosting the Gala this year. Maddy to confirm asap. Bruce Dooley will recruit food from area restaurants. Jason suggested publicizing the need for art donations for the silent auction. Garett suggested extending the invitation to the OSU Scholars program.
· Fountain Dedication: In limbo pending resolution of remaining issues. See below.
· Web Updates: Chris has agreed to assist in web training to allow Board members to initiate updates.
Next Committee meeting Tuesday, Oct. 18 @ 7:30 at Maddy’s residence, 1219 Harrison Ave.
Planning and Operations:
Next Work Day: Saturday, Novermber 5 @ 9am
· Fountain Update: Sells outlined the current issues: First is the problem that the pond is leaking significantly. The city filled the pond last week at a cost of $14,000. Most of that water has drained, despite the well pump running continuously. CAM and CR&P need to determine where the cause of the leak. Rick will turn off the well pump as of 10/6. The second problem involves the flow regulation controls for the two pumps and the integration of those controls with ground fault interrupters. A meeting of all concerned parties will be convened this week to resolve this design issue. Once the pump issues are fixed allowing final positioning of the elephants, then the scaffolding can be removed and siliconing of the granite completed.
· Dedication Event: Currently scheduled fo Nov. 13 but the decision to proceed is contingent upon resolution of the above issues.
· Dedication Plaque: Jason shared the final version which should be sent to CAM this week.
Next Committee Meeting: Monday, Oct. 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm @ Caretakers Residence
· Committee Chairs: Jason requested that each committee chair submit the committee’s charge for the coming year in the form of a position summary that can be used at January’s annual retreat. Summaries should include scope of duties, priorities for the coming year and potential issues. Jason asked that these be submitted to him by the beginning of December.
· UCT Monument: CR&P is still concerned about ownership and maintenance issues so further discussion is needed between Pizzuti folks and CR&P.
Work Day: Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011 from 9 am to noon;
November Board Meeting – Wednesday, November 2, 2011 @ 7:00 pm, Caretaker’s Residence